Thursday, September 13, 2007

Who'll React First?


The Immigration and Customs Enforcement department issued a statement today saying it would cost no less than $94 billion to remove the 12 million illegal immigrants that live in the United States. That comes to nearly $8,000 to kick out each illegal immigrant--locating and legal fees not included.

That sure doesn't sound like a deal to me!

I can't wait to hear some of the GOP presidential candidates start tossing that figure around on the stump and mock what they're sure to say are the "overly-lenient" practices of the ICE, including the average 32 day incarceration period for each immigrant. I assumed captured illegal immigrants wouldn't cost much so keep overnight, but apparently it costs $97 for each day of ICE detainment.

$97 a night x 32 nights = $3,100+

Since I'm sure a handful of the candidates are looking around for some good price comparisons on that, I headed over to Hotels.com started imagining someone like Tom Tancredo saying the following line:

"It'd be cheaper to put up each illegal immigrants for a month in a Superior Room at the Fiesta Inn in Laredo, TX with satellite TV, air conditioning, a private balcony, and internet access! "

Good point, Mr. Tancredo, it certainly would be cheaper (that room would cost only $87/night).

Enough of me, just listen for the "spoiled immigrant" lines to start hitting the campaign trail soon--I'll make sure to put some of them up here when they do.

In case you were wondering, I'm no fan of illegal-immigration, and I wish we'd wise up and tighten our borders up, but the idea of booting out 12 million immigrants is completely absurd and un-American in my eyes.

No comments: